Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Happy December 1st!

We woke up to a gentle snowfall this morning...

"The Advent wind begins to stir
With sea-like sounds in our Scotch fir,
It's dark at breakfast, dark at tea,
And in between we only see
Clouds hurrying across the sky
And rain-wet roads the wind blows dry
And branches bending to the gale
Against great skies all silver-pale.
The world seems travelling into space,
And travelling at a faster pace
Than in the leisured summer weather
When we and it sit out together,
For now we feel the world spin round
On some momentous journey bound --
Journey to what? to whom? to where?
The Advent bells call out 'Prepare,
Your world is journeying to the birth
Of God made Man for us on earth.'"

--excerpt from "Advent 1955" by Sir John Betjeman

3 comments:

  1. I love John Betjeman's poetry. We had quite thick snow this morning, the roads were so bad I had to turn road halfway to work and come home again - winter's here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I hope you enjoyed your snow day. The snow was not very thick here, just off and on all day and very lovely.

    Funny, we seem to share so many musical and literary tastes, as I was posting I was thinking to myself, "I bet Rachel reads John Betjeman." ;) I was right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He he, I often think the same of you when I'm posting things on my blog!

    ReplyDelete