Thursday, December 23, 2010

Nine Lessons and Carols

If you live in the States and are within range of a public radio station, chances are you can tune in to a live broadcast of A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols from King's College, Cambridge, on Christmas Eve morning. You can check your local NPR station's website to find out when to tune in.

If you can't listen in, you can still enjoy last year's service on YouTube. I love watching and listening because you can enjoy the beauty of the chapel and the cuteness of the choirboys (my husband makes fun of me for melting into a puddle of maternal goopiness whenever they're onscreen, haha). I've started with the first selection, "Once in Royal David's City," below, and the rest of the clips are labeled sequentially so you can watch them in order (or skip around to your favorites like I do).


Have a very merry Christmas, and may the light of Christ shine in your heart!

4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this yesterday! I looked up the air time for the program and was able to listen in this morning while I worked. It was truly beautiful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It never occurred to me that it might be on youtube - I've heard it so many times, and always tried to imagine it. Our local public radio station repeats it on Christmas morning - perhaps others do, too.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. April, I'm so glad you were able to tune in! It was beautiful this year, wasn't it? I think my favorite piece was 'Det Âr en Ros Utsprungen' which I had never heard in that arrangement before.

    ReplyDelete