Tuesday, July 31, 2012

"Traveler" shirtdress



Here's another version of same shirtdress I made last fall, once again using Simplicity 2246 (albeit two sizes larger this time - argh!). I used a stretch cotton poplin for the bodice and a Lisette cotton twill for the skirt. Both fabrics have a lot of crispness and body to them, so I opted to pleat in the skirt's fullness instead of gathering.


I also added piping at the waistline, an idea I stole from one of Casey's recent posts. I thought it would add a little more definition between the skirt and the bodice. However, I found I prefer the look of a belt instead.

I am not sure why, but I'm not very thrilled with the way this dress turned out. I'm not so sure I like the style of the sleeves and I wish I'd chosen a bolder print for the skirt. There's nothing wrong with it, and I'll certainly be wearing it as I don't have a lot of other options! I'm a little more excited about version #2, which I plan to modify into a shirtwaist with a fuller skirt. Blue chambray fabric, you're next!

8 comments:

  1. It looks lovely, Laura! Actually, my favorite part of the dress is the sleeves. :-) They're feminine, but not overdone. I can't wait to see the chambray version, too!

    And you look fantastic, by the way -- *way* too good for someone who's just had a baby! :-)

    Blessings,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dress. You did excellent with the sewing! I love the feeling of accomplishment when you can wear something you've made! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Shannon and Jessica! (Shannon, I should have said I wasn't sure I liked the sleeves *on me* -- I have nothing against puffed sleeves in general! But actually the pictures help me see they're not as "wide" as I thought.) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty dress. I love the shape and colors.

    When I have a "I'm not very thrilled with the way this dress turned out" moment, I generally find it needs some little tweak because the proportions are off - and they are never off by much, but ooh does that "much" make a difference! I suspect lengthening the bodice an inch or so would solve the problem. Since it's finished, I would play with the hem length. You might find it radically improves your view of it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the feedback, Janel! I don't always have the greatest eye for these things so I appreciate your opinion. I'm happy with the bodice length, as it sits right at the smallest part of my waist, but you are absolutely right about the hemline. If it were an inch or two shorter, I think it would be more flattering (especially when worn with flats). Unfortunately, this pattern has you hem the skirt before attaching the button plackets, so it's not an easy fix. :-/ I may work on something else for a while to give myself a break, and then revisit this dress. (It's always so hard to motivate myself to do major work on a garment I've already finished!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura, the dress is so becoming! I really like the pleating of the skirt. I know you're a busy mama, but you could open a boutique. You look great by the way! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Pam! Hmmm, a boutique? That would be a fun venture one of these days... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this version! It's simple yet elegant and looks lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete