Friday, August 30, 2013

Brazilian lemonade


Brazilian lemonade

This is one of our favorite summertime drinks! It's a perfect mix of tart citrus, with a hint of bitterness, but deliciously balanced by the creamy sweetness. Douglas and I first tasted Brazilian lemonade at La Parilla restaurant in Lawrence, Kansas. We were driving through on our way to Colorado and stopped there for lunch, since I lived in Lawrence for six months when I was in college. A former housemate that I'd lost touch with happened to be working there when we stopped by, and she kindly brought us some Brazilian lemonade as a treat. Douglas and I were both raving about it and so I looked up a recipe online as soon as we got home. I like this one from Our Best Bites (condensed here, but step-by-step instructions at the link):

Brazilian Lemonade
  • 4 juicy limes with thin, smooth skins
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 6 cups water
  • 6 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
Boil 1 cup water and add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Remove from heat and add remaining 5 cups of cold water. Chill if desired.

Wash limes thoroughly. Cut the ends off, then cut into eighths. Place 1/2 of the limes in the blender and add 1/2 of the sugar water. Pulse 5 times. Strain into a pitcher, squeezing extra liquid in with a spoon. Discard pulp and rind. Repeat with remaining limes and water. Add sweetened condensed milk. Serve immediately over ice. Serves 4. (Does not keep well; do not prepare in advance although you can prep all ingredients beforehand.)

2 comments:

  1. That sounds really interesting. Totally unlike an lemonade I have ever had. I am sure it must be very tasty. : )

    ReplyDelete