Wednesday, February 4, 2015

A rosy day in February


Rosie's 1st birthday

Yesterday our baby Rosamund turned one year old! At breakfast, she opened some handmade cards from her siblings and a gift from Mommy and Daddy.

Rosie's 1st birthday

She has been in danger of getting very attached to a very soft, but very ugly, orange plaid throw blanket that we have. We gave her her own soft pink baby blanket from Berkshire Blanket. See those fingers in the mouth? That's a sign of contentedness. I think the switcheroo will go unnoticed.

Rosie's 1st birthday

She also received the felt rose hairclip, which I battled to keep in place all day long, and some new chocolate brown leather shoes made by me. I'll post about those soon.

Rosie's 1st birthday

I asked my mom if we could have the birthday luncheon at her house, so she provided the beautiful table while I contributed the food. We had tomato bisque and a variety of small, savory sandwiches and crudités, with cake and tea for dessert.

Rosie's 1st birthday

Mom set the table with vintage dishes belonging to Rosamund's great-great-great-grandmother. I sure hope Rosamund loves roses as much as I do, because the rose theme is not slacking off anytime soon!

Rosie's 1st birthday

For her first birthday cake, I used our champagne blush wedding cake recipe, which I've not tasted since our wedding. I thought the recipe was lost, but when I mentioned it to my mom, she found it for me. Whew!

Rosie's 1st birthday

Happy day celebrating a precious little lady. We love you, Rosamund!

14 comments:

  1. What a lovely birthday setting! You make everything look so nice, Laura. I'm sure that as your children grow older, they'll appreciate all the special things you do for them.

    That cake though! Someday when my wedding day comes around, I may want to ask for that cake recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheri! I'd be glad to send the recipe to you whenever required. :) It's from the June 2007 Tea Time magazine.

      Delete
  2. What a perfect celebration for a beautiful little lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! What a perfectly girly party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire your ability to bring such elegance to baby birthday parties! I remember Lavinia's lovely cake as well. Most babies get a monkey-shaped cake and paper plates! I like your way of treating it with a little more regard. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Ashley -- I must admit, having help makes a big difference! If I were all on my own, we'd probably be doing paper plates! ;-)

      Delete
  5. What a welcome reprieve from the typical toddler birthday celebrations! Timeless and so so sweet! Thank you sharing these glimpses of your life and loves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Rebecca -- thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete
  6. February is a *lovely* month for birthdays...I celebrate mine today, so I'm quite partial to anyone who shares the month with me. You have such a way with creating beautiful memories for birthdays; I echo Ashley's comment above. Blessings Rosamund! And the little felt flower turned out just like the picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, happy birthday to you! Hope you had a lovely day too (you share a birthday with my Grandma). February is a nice month for birthdays, it gives a reason to celebrate in the dead of winter, when we all need it! :)

      Delete
  7. So lovely! Such a beautiful table, blessed with family memories and all the promises of years to come. I have a Rose-girl too, and every birthday there is something involving roses. Best wishes to your little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it possible you would share the recipe for the cake? My daughter, Cora will be one in May. God bless your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete