Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Leather toddler shoes

I'm rather behind on posting any projects! Here are the shoes I made for Rosie's birthday over a month ago. I posted a photo on Instagram while I was making them, and you can see that they originally had leather bows for a little feminine accent.

leatherbabyshoes
[One shoe down, one to go!]

I handstitched the bows onto the uppers before assembling the shoes, but I'm sorry to report that my handstitching was not strong enough to withstand even one day of toddler crawling! By the end of the first day, the bows were loose, wonky, and falling off. I removed them and pondered how I could re-attach. The only solution I can think of is leather glue, but I am dubious as to how well that would work. Rosie is now walking more than crawling, which means less stress to the tops of her shoes, but still! Even though the bows were cute, I think I will leave these as is, and chalk it up to a learning experience.

leather baby shoes

Thankfully the quality of the leather hides the holes made by my handstitching. I used the same pattern as my last effort, but resolved the printing issues I had. This time I used a size 6-12 months and they fit her just right. I sewed the shoes on my machine, with a leather needle, and had no problems with skipping stitches except once, when I was trying to sew through too many layers. The leather (and suede for the soles) came from a local shoe repair shop, where I can go and root through bins of scraps and take what I need for a few bucks.

leather baby shoes

This project earned me the title of "shoemaker" from Edmund. :) I'll take it!

6 comments:

  1. oh my word, this is inspiring! Such sweet shoes and for such little cost! I don't think they need to be cutified one little bit, but perhaps a running stitch by hand in perle cotton in a girly color along the seam over her arch. . . or even a tiny pink rosebud, again in perle cotton. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margo! I do like the idea of embroidery for embellishment -- I think for my next pair I may try to work up a little design! :)

      Delete
  2. A shoe repair shop for leather. Now why didn't I think of that? That's a great idea for scraps of leather. I would like to make a large tote though, so maybe scraps that big might be harder to come upon...? Your leather-work looks great though. Especially on tiny feet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to make a large tote one of these days, too! Let me know if you find a good source online. I haven't asked if I could buy larger hides from the shoe repair shop.

      Delete
  3. So darling! And impressive! Well done. (And may I say I just adore your profile photo!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Anna! My profile photo is from my wedding, so it's a little outdated (nearly 7 years... yikes), but I love it too!

      Delete